Henry LaneView full burial details
in the cemetery
Lane’s Nurseries was a highly successful plant nursery in Berkhamsted. It was originally established in by Henry Lane’s father, also called Henry Lane, in about 1777. On his death, Henry the younger took over the family business.
After the younger Henry’s death in 1865, his own son, John Edward Lane Sr took over the nurseries and developed the business greatly.
Henry was clearly a man of good standing in the Parish of Great Berkhamsted. Between 1834 and 1840 he served as a churchwarden of St Peter’s Church, during the incumbency of Rector John Crofts. Lane’s name, along with that of fellow churchwarden Augustus Smith, is inscribed at the base of the cemetery foundation stone in the centre of the cemetery.
The following local places of interest are linked to Henry Lane: