The Queen's Arms
53 High Street, Berkhamsted
The Queen’s Arms was an inn on the corner of Berkhamsted High Street and Highfield Road. Records going back centuries name a succession of landlords, including Francis Barker in 1607 John Waller in 1839 and Alfred Shead in 1897. The house next door, Pightle House, was once joined to the pub.
In 1871 the Heading family were recorded as living at the Queen’s Arms, and William Henry Heading senior was the licensed victualler here. He died in 1878 and was buried in the family plot in Rectory Lane Cemetery.
The Queen’s Arms closed as a public house in 1968 but it can still be seen today, now a private house. It is a traditional 17th-century timber-framed building with a distinctive narrow corner door.
What's connected with this location
1 burial in Rectory Lane Cemetery is linked with The Queen's Arms — click on a burial below to find out more about the historical connections: