James Wood & Son
292-294 High St, Berkhamsted
James Wood came to Berkhamsted and established an ironworks business on the High Street in 1826. He lived next door in Monks Cottage. The business was advertised as “iron fence makers, wire workers & hot water engineers”. After the death of James Wood in 1861, the business was managed by his widow, Fanny.
Woods ironworks is of particular significance to Rectory Lane Cemetery as this is where the wrought iron gates at the cemetery entrance were made. James and Fanny Wood were both buried in Rectory Lane Cemetery, as was their son, also James Wood (1824 –1918).
James Wood & Son continued to trade from these premises for many years as a domestic heating engineers, plumbers and ironmongers. The business later became a plant nursery and garden stores. It has since been taken over by Capital Gardens Ltd but still trades under the name of Woods Garden Centre.