Rectory Lane Cemetery, Berkhamsted

Rectory Lane Cemetery, Berkhamsted

Old Rectory

The Old Rectory stood to the west of the Cemetery. This was the birthplace of the poet and hymn-writer William Cowper in 1731, the son of the Rector of St Peter’s. Around 1845 a later Rector, Rev John Crofts, demolished this house and built a new rectory further up the lane.