Help with genealogy research
Discovering the life stories behind the 1,200 memorials is part of transforming the Cemetery from a dead space to a living place, and sharing these stories brings our town’s history to life.
This role would suit you if you:
- Are interested in genealogy or the history of Hertfordshire
- Are familiar with resources such as Find My Past and Ancestry.com
- Have access to at least one of these online sites, via your own computer or library membership
- Would like to learn how to conduct research
- Prefer to work from home
- Are looking to fit your volunteering around other commitments – how muc time you give depends on how many burials you decide to take on – the detective work is quite compulsive!
The project would:
- Identify a memorial or plot for you to research and tell you what we already know, if there is anything
- Guide you through the process 1:1 or arrange for group training at the library
- Assist if you get stuck
- Publish your research on our website.