Rectory Lane Cemetery, Berkhamsted

Rectory Lane Cemetery, Berkhamsted

Rectory Lane Cemetery founded

Now a wealthy widow, Charlotte Catherine Anne, Countess Of Bridgewater purchases land from the Egerton House property sale. Lady Bridgewater is renowned for her charitable acts, and she donates the land to the Parish of Great Berkhamsted for the purpose of establishing a new detached cemetery. Additional donations come from the London and Birmingham Railway Company, the Grand Junction Canal Company and parishioners. The cemetery is consecrated on 11th October 1842 by the Bishop of Lincoln.