The Cemetery Project
The Rectory Lane Cemetery Project is the flagship project of the Friends of St Peter’s, transforming our once-neglected historic church cemetery into a community space and conserving our heritage for future generations.
Rectory Lane Cemetery is a ‘detached’ cemetery of St Peter’s Church. It was founded in 1842 with a gift of land from Charlotte Catharine Anne, Countess of Bridgewater, when St Peter’s churchyard ran out of space for new burials.
The cemetery was extended several times until it too ran out of space. A new municipal cemetery opened in 1946 at Kingshill and burials at Rectory Lane ended in 1976.