History of Rectory Lane Cemetery:
The Rex Picture House
In 1936 the Elizabethan mansion Egerton House is bought by the Shipman & King cinema circuit and demolished. The new Rex Picture House, opened in 1938, now stands in its place on the corner of Three Close Lane. The cinema was designed in a highly fashionable Art Deco style by the architect David Evelyn Nye.